I have just submitted an academic paper on this. I’m not going to discuss this much at this point – I don’t want to plagiarise myself. However, I’d quite like to start a debate. How would you answer these questions.
What do we mean by voice?
How do we attain voice?
What about voice in the following:
- Libba Bray’s A Strange and Terrible Beauty
- Melvin Burgess’ Doing It
- Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
- Iain Laurence’s The Lighthouse Keeper’s Daughter
- Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight
- Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials
- Judy Waite’s Forbidden
- Judy Waite’s Game Girls
How effective are fit person narratives for young adult novels?
What is the main problem with first person narratives? (Not that they are unreliable!)
What is the difference between using present and past tenses?
Discuss the person and tense combination used in each of the above.